I recently purchased a photo cookbook titled Cook Visualize the Perfect Plate. It has now become my favorite cookbook-slash-coffee table book in the house. What I like about the book is it gives you step-by-step photographs of each recipe, guiding your cooking experience to near perfection of what to expect in each step. It’s a dilemma I encounter sometimes with photo-absent recipes when you have no idea of you are doing the steps correctly.
This is the first recipe I tried from the book. It came out perfect and delicious. The only non-perfect aspect of my chicken pot pie were my dough crimps. Have to practice on that. But oh, I was just so happy to successfully cook anything with pie crust from scratch. 😀
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups cold chicken stock
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 pound skinless, boness chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 sheet of store-bought rolled dough pie crusts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently for 8 minutes until golden.
- Add the carrots, celery, and half the stock into the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the vegetables are almost tender.
- While the pot is simmering, melt the butter in another large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in the remaining stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until thick.
- Stir the flour mixture into the vegetable mixture. Add the chicken peas, and thyme.
- Simmer everything continuously for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper, if needed. Divide the mixture among large ramekins (individual ceramic dishes). For this recipe, we used 2 ramekins.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out 2 circles, each 1 inch larger than the diameter of the ramekins.
- Place the pie dough circles on top of the filling, then crimp the edges. Cut a small cross in the center of each circle.
- Put the ramekins on a baking sheet and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
How about you, what is your Chicken Pot Pie recipe? Do share!